Thursday, May 30, 2019

Interview with ... PYREXIA



Interview with Chris Basile - PYREXIA

1.Hi Chris, how do you feel about the new album ''Unholy Requiem'' reviews and how well has the new album been received so far?
- 1. Hey Alex. Thanks for the interview ! I think like some of our records in the past. Some people love it. Some not so much. I really strive to bring something fresh and original with each release and sometimes people are disappointed that it’s not Sermon of Mockery every time. I’m proud of the record. But I do believe our best material is yet to come so stay tuned.
02. What is the meaning of the new album name and how it ties in with the album concept?
- 2. Definitely a Biblical Old Testament concept. The Old Testament is probably the scariest book ever written.
03. what kind of equipment did you use for the recording ?
- 3. For guitars we stick to the Engl heads. Fireball. Marshal 1960 cabs. Tech 21 Bass Head with Mesa cabs. Pearl drums and Meinl cymbals.
04. how is the new material different from the past material, how have you expanded your sound and what do you add differently to the genre
- 4. With all the genre splicing. Slam ,grind,death core etc. we strive to deliver straight up BDM. Pyrexia will always have slams. We have since 1990. But I never want to box us into any kind of genre. And never want to be predictable.
05. who compose the music for the ''Unholy Requiem''? do you have to feel sounding special in the riffs to be sure it's Pyrexia riffs?
- 5. I wrote all the material on the album. If you hate it or love it it’s my fault hahaha. It just has to brutal and original. If I feel it sounds remotely like another band I won’t use the riff. I hate when other bands sound exactly the same.
06. Who is the person on the cover of "Unholy Requiem"? Who is the author and what about the general meaning concept of this photo?
- 6.Daemorph Art. He’s a madman from Russia. We already secured him for our next cover. I love his work. The cover depicts the battle in Heaven between the Arch Angel Michael against God himself and his banishment to Hell.
07. Does it happen often that when you look back to your songs you think “well, this could have sounded better”? Do you usually encounter this sort of regret regarding some of your previous stuff?
- 7. Yes. I like some am not particularly happy with the final master of Unholy Requiem. I recorded and mastered everything myself and probably bit off a little more than I could chew in my opinion. I’ve since grown leaps and bounds in my post production process and the next one will sound the way I intended unholy to sound. I took a chance and put myself out there. Sometimes you have to. But looking back and knowing what I know now I prob coulda used some help. It’s all part of growing so no regrets.
08. Chris Basile, You are the main man of Pyrexia,through the years and only original band member ...Who are now in band’s line up?
- 8. Pyrexia 2019 is : Myself on guitar. Danny Trapani on guitar. Shaun Kennedy on Bass. Jim Beach on vocals and Ryan Hilerio on Drums.
09. You released last 3 albums on ''Unique Leader''... how's your cooperation with Unique Leader going? Do they give you the support and promotion that you deserve? Are you planing to reissue (or re-recorded) first album ''Sermon Of Mockery'' with ULR?
- 9. UL and Erik Lindmark in particular have been great to Pyrexia since 2006. It’s been a rough year with Erik’s passing. But I’m looking forward to a strong and powerful UL in the future. As far as Sermon , Century Media re released it as a double album including early demos and the 95 ep Hatredangeranddisgust in 2015.
10. how was the scene changed last 10-15 years and how strong is the NY underground scene nowadays?
- 10. I think DM went through a lull 10-15 yrs ago but has since enjoyed somewhat of a resurgence the past few years. The last few Pyrexia tours both in the US and overseas have been incredible
11. How does it feel to hear a band that is obviously influenced by Pyrexia
- 11. It’s great when they pay homage. It’s tough when bands say they invented an entire genre or are The Godfather’s or kings of a genre when Sermon or our early demos precede anything they ever did. But it comes with the territory.
12. Which Pyrexia tour would you name as the best one so far?
- 12. Probably these past 2. Bloodletting here in America and The Grand Slam tour we did last year in EU.
13. When will we see you on the road again here in Europe?
- 13. We tried real hard to get on the summer festivals but it wasn’t meant to be. Look for us in the Fall of 2019 though. We should be back by then.
14. Thanx for interview. Last words are yours
- 14. I want to thank you my brother for your time and the interview. Everyone needs to check out our new content on you tube and twitch. Look for a lot more video content from us in 2019. Go buy Unholy Requiem and look for NEW Pyrexia material in 2019. See you all on the road ! Make sure you come out if we play your city ! Thank you !

No comments: